For Christmas I finally made mini some of the dress-ups I've been meaning to for, well, pretty much ever.
I made this pretend play dr. kit out of felt and lots of stuff I had around the house and just a few simple items I had to buy. Everything about it is pretty simple, since I was on a limited schedule... but I think it came together well and she loves it. If you've got a future physician on your hands, you might want to gift this kit too!
Here's the little dr. in all her glory:
The lab coat was the most time consuming part, but came together super easily since there was no need to hem anything (yea, felt!)
I cut a front and back piece of the coat and the two sleeves (just as I did with the sweatshirt here).
So, right sides together, I sewed the front and back together at the shoulders. Then I sewed the sleeves to the coat around the curves. I sewed up the sleeve seam and down the coat sleeve in one swoop. It's like this tutorial.
I cut out a pocket shape and sewed a cross on, then just sewed the sides and bottom of the pocket to the front of the coat. That's the nice thing about felt - no fraying.
I drew the lapel on felt as one piece, then, since I knew nothing would fray I just sewed it to the right side of the coat. It's kind of lame you can see the marker around the collar, but cest le vie, right?
I sewed a thin rectangle down the inside of the front of one side of the coat to reinforce right where the buttonholes would be. I cut the buttonholes open but didn't sew them, you know, FELT. Then I sewed buttons down the other side.
To finish it off, I sewed giant ric rac all around the lapel and bottom. I love giant ric rac. Actually, I love all ric rac.
With no hemming, cheater sleeve sewing and completely faking the lapel, this came together much faster than anticipated.
For the plastic box, I used one I had on hand. It came with our couch and had leather polish in it. Which I never used. I used hot glue to glue on the white felt, cross and ric rac.
I included bandaids, medicine, an arm cast, a blood pressure cuff, a stethoscope, a syringe/shot, a plessor, and otoscope.
The bandaids might be my favorite part.
For each bandaid, I cut two pieces of tan felt and a square of white felt.
I sewed the white square to one piece of tan felt, then sewed the other piece of tan felt to the opposite side.
For some of them I put some velcro circles on so they will stay closed around a finger or toe.
For the blood pressure cuff, I used felt, ribbon and one of those nose suckers that they give you in the hospital for your newborn.
I used embroidery floss to stitch the details on the white circle, though I admit, I have no idea what the gauge on a BP cuff actually looks like. Whoops. Then I sewed it to the blue circle.
I cute two pink rectangles and sewed the blood pressure gauge and the fuzzy side of the velcro on one and the scratchy strips of velcro to the other one. Then I sewed the two rectangles all around the outside edge with wrong sides together and the ribbon sandwiched between at about midpoint.
I hot glued the other end of the ribbon to the sucky bulb thing and then for reinforcement and to make it look better, I hot glued felt around that.
I might like the cast as much as the bandaids.
I cut two identical pieces of felt, using my arm as a reference and cutting a little smaller for the kids. I cut a little thumb hole opening.
Then with white thread, I sewed across the bottom, top and around the thumb curve on both pieces separately. Then I sewed slanted lines randomly across each piece to make it look like wrapped pieces of bandage.
Then on one piece I stitched some names and messages with embroidery floss.
Then I sewed alone the straight sides (not the thumb curve) to sew the pieces together.
I used a cheap headband, ribbon and felt for the stethoscope. I wanted it to be even more fun, so I put some small beads in a tiny plastic box and enclosed it in the circle pieces of the stethoscope so it rattles when you use it. The circle piece is just two white felt pieces with a cross sewn on one and the ribbon sandwiched in. Then I wrapped the other end of the ribbon around the headband and sewed the end. I wrapped two small pieces of felt around the ends of the headband and hot glued them on so that they'd be more comfy in the ears.
The medicine bottle was just a twist on vitamin bottle. I put some beads in it and hot glued the lid on. Then I wrapped it in felt and hot glued that.
I got a vintage wooden hammer on etsy (it's a play tool from a little vintage tool kit) to use as the plessor. I used gorilla glue to keep the tinker toy pieces together to use as the otoscope. Then I spray painted them white to match.
This mini clipboard is the last piece of the kit. I decorated it with washi tape and attached the pencil with a ribbon so she wouldn't lose it. Ha!
She takes lots of notes about her patients. And is quite devoted to making her patients well again.